Thursday, June 25, 2009

Ok, ok, I'm repenting

Having been chastized for not updating my blog, I am now updating my blog. I told my hubby that I wasn't updating because nothing was happening, and he disagreed. Erica's making progress every day, so that she's a lot further along than she was when I last wrote, but the progress is coming slowly day by day, so each day it doesn't seem like much.

She can talk fairly well now. It still takes effort to understand her, but when we can't, she writes down what she's trying to tell us. She's taking bites of things during therapy - chocolate pudding, mac and cheese, graham crackers. She does ok, but she's still working on making her tongue stronger. She had a swallow study last Friday and did horrible in it, but at least it allowed us to see that it was her tongue that needed to get stronger to move the food back. She has another swallow study scheduled for next Monday. She's still getting fed by a feeding tube through her nose. On Tuesday she threw up a few times (too much food in her belly, we think), and the feeding tube came out. So they put a new one in Wednesday morning.

PT is going well. She walked a few steps (20, she says) on the parallel bars today. She can sit ok, but still falls over after a bit. She still can't crawl, but is definitely getting better. Her arms move ok, but her legs are still stiff. James says to mention that she's now using her own wheelchair instead of the CCMCs, which had head and side supports. That means she's able to support herself well enough in her chair. And she can push her chair around the halls by herself, although she likes to be pushed.

That's all I can think of for an update. Sorry I'm not keeping everyone updated, I just don't think about it. But feel free to ask anytime! :)

2 comments:

april said...

thanks for the update!! i've been thinking of ya.

Kathleen Mangum said...

You are stronger than most. We love you Perkins. Glad things are progressing. Our prayers are with you.