Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Under the category of "What was he thinking?"

I often ask myself, "What was he thinking?!?!?!?" As you probably know, I have a very intelligent boy. That can be good, but it can be bad. We often say to ourselves that we wish he'd use his powers for good instead of evil. The bad part comes with inventing ways to get out of trouble.

So, where do I start? Starting the story from the front or the back has its appeal. I think this story is best told from the ending.

So, there I was, doing our weekly loads of laundry. I open the dryer to pull out the first load (darks, jeans and such), and all over the dryer vent are little brown balls of...well, something. Now, at this time, Jessie is potty training and not doing a very good job of it. Still, I would be surprised if dirty underwear could pass by me unnoticed and into the laundry. So, I did what any self-respecting mother would do. I picked up a little ball and smelled it. Ah-ha! Mystery solved.

Now, back to the beginning of the story. On Friday, we had our Halloween dinner (as you can see in a previous post). Our entree was rat-shaped meatloaf. The kids were excited to eat it. However, when it came time to actually eat, my pickiest of picky eaters decided he didn't like meatloaf today and didn't want to eat it. The rule in our house is that if you put it on your plate, you have to eat it. After much arguing and threatening, the meatloaf was eaten and the boy was allowed to leave to go trick-or-treating.

Fast forward to today. As soon as I smelled the little baked balls of meatloaf, I knew exactly what my son had done. Yes, that's right, the meatloaf went IN HIS POCKETS! He'd already been reprimanded for trying to hide it in a napkin and throw it away. All we saw was the empty plate at the end and never, never, never would I have thought of him putting it in his pockets, then in the laundry, thinking he could get away with it. What was he thinking? He was thinking "I want to go trick-or-treating, my family is leaving soon, and I don't want to eat this meatloaf. My mom will never find it in my pockets!" That, folks, is what he was thinking.

2 comments:

Malisa Twelves said...

lol... Eldon reminds me of my sister, but we didn't discover her food hiding spot until we bought a new table, she had been shoving little napkins of food into a crevice in front of her usual seat... Kids are too funny about food!

Christy said...

That is funny. Glad I ran across your blog, it will be good to see how you guys are doing. The kids sure have gotten big!