I think the canning season is over. I was curious about how much I had really saved in the process, considering all the work done. So I did up a spreadsheet and was amazed at what I came up with. I used the cheapest item of each at the store I usually shop at. The sugar, salt, water, lids, and energy are not considered in my total costs, but there are few things that I can't even buy at the store, like crabapple jelly and dried blueberries. And these prices don't include all the fresh fruit we ate, of which we at tons! And of course, raising things in your own backyard considerably helps on overall costs. :)Best buy: Apples for $.35/lb
Worst buy: HORRIBLE peaches from a farmer -- not even worth preserving!
| Fruit | Amount | Cost | Store Cost | Savings |
| Strawberries | 12 c freezer jam | 11.96 | ||
| 14 c syrup | 29.60 | |||
| 11 c frozen | 8.25 | |||
| 10 c cooked jam | 9.97 | |||
| 34.75 | 59.78 | 25.03 | ||
| Raspberries | 6 c syrup | 11.24 | ||
| 8 c jam | 8.00 | |||
| 16 c frozen | 16.00 | |||
| 0 | 35.24 | 35.24 | ||
| Blueberries | 24 c dehydrated | |||
| 32 c frozen | 44.77 | |||
| 7 c jam | 13.93 | |||
| 9 c syrup | 16.86 | |||
| 4 qt pie filling | 24.72 | |||
| 46.50 | 100.28 | 53.78 | ||
| Blackberries | 10 c syrup | 18.30 | ||
| 20 fruit rollups | 3.65 | |||
| 0 | 21.95 | 21.95 | ||
| Green beans | 59 pts canned | |||
| 0 | 40.46 | 40.46 | ||
| Peaches | 35 qts canned | 51.20 | ||
| 12 fruit rollups | 2.19 | |||
| 51 | 53.39 | 2.39 | ||
| Crabapples | 9 c jelly | |||
| Pears | 52 qts canned | 100.43 | ||
| 20 fruit rollups | 3.65 | |||
| 1 pie | 2.49 | |||
| 14.25 pts baby food | 45.60 | |||
| 50 | 152.17 | 102.17 | ||
| Grapes | 7 pts juice concentrate | |||
| 20 | 22.30 | 2.30 | ||
| Apples | 1 pie | 2.49 | ||
| 6 crisps | 14.94 | |||
| 42.5 qts sauce | 78.41 | |||
| 13.5 pts apple butter | 17.91 | |||
| 21.25 pts baby food | 68.00 | |||
| 87 | 181.75 | 94.75 | ||
| Tomatoes | 10 pts salsa | 13.93 | ||
| 7 pints canned | 6.93 | |||
| 10 c tomato sauce | 3.00 | |||
| 0 | 23.86 | 23.86 | ||
| GRAND TOTAL SAVINGS | 401.93 | |||
2 comments:
That is good to know. I missed out on part of canning season because I didn't have a kitchen (remodeling). but, supposedly, my parents still have some tomatoes that I am pickign tomorrow as long as it doesn't freeze. I plan to can those next week.
It's good to see it broken down like that. Thanks! Welcome to the blogging world, by the way. I'll add you to my link list. Your kids have gotten so big!
Post a Comment