Friday, October 17, 2008

Cookie Craze

Well, it happened again.  I wasted a perfectly good evening when I could have been sleeping.  It seems that every time James is out of town (he's camping with the Boy Scouts), I can never get to bed at a decent hour, then I have to wake up tired the next morning and deal with kids by myself.  But at least this time I was doing something fun.

I decided that I want to take cake decorating classes.  So I talked to my friend Christie about it, got some pointers, and headed to my local Michael's store to sign up and buy some starting equipment.  The classes might be on Monday night, so we'll have to see whether or not I can actually go, but I bought the kit for the first class and talked to someone who was in the middle of taking it.

So of course, I had to play with my new stuff!  Christie had the brilliant suggestions of decorating cookies.  This is great for two reasons -- one, I'm able to practice with the tips on more surfaces, and two, we'll actually eat them!  Our family is not all that crazy about eating cakes, but the cookies will be gone fast!

So, if our family doesn't eat cakes, why cake decorating?  Good question, glad you asked.  When the kids' birthdays come around, I like to try and make fun cakes for them.  They're starting to ask for cakes that require a bit more talent than I have, so I would love to be able to decorate cakes for them.  Also, I think it would be a good side hobby to have to decorate cakes for others.  We'll see how it goes, I guess!  As for now, the above picture shows my creations.  Not all that great, but hey, it is my first time.  And James will be happy when he comes home and has cookies to eat!

1 comment:

Maren said...

I think it's great you're going to take a cake decorating class. In the past cakes have been my arch-baking-enemy. They taste good but look stupid. Hence the Cake of the Month on my blog. I've gotten better, but am afraid I'd still get laughed out of a class. :)

Oh - and I always stay up really late on the nights lance is gone, too. Like tonight. I think I just don't know what to do with myself, so I always work on a big project that takes too long. (Tonight it was Spencer's Halloween costume.)